The official site of the City of Renton

animal control web banner

You are here : Living : Pets and Animals

Print Friendly Version

Lost Pets and General Animal Information

To check on a lost animal within the city limits of Renton, click here.

The Renton Police Department employs two full-time Animal Control Officers to serve those citizens who reside within the city limits of Renton. The Animal Control Officers respond to the following:

  • To investigate and enforce noise violations, such as barking dogs or other repetitive noises
  • To report on and quarantine biting animals
  • To pick-up domestic animals in violation of the city's trespass ordinance
  • To enforce leash law violations
  • To advise/educate citizens on the use of traps or alternatives for nuisance cats or wildlife
  • To investigate animal cruelty complaints
  • To enforce the city's licensing requirements for dogs and cats
  • To take reports of lost/found domestic animals
  • To aid any sick or injured animal
  • To pick-up any stray or deceased animal on the roadway
    Stray, domestic animals that are impounded by the Renton Police Department may be taken to any local shelter, rescue or veterinarian. If the animal has identification such as an ID tag or microchip, attempts to contact the owner are made. Animals without identification are held for a minimum three-day holding period, and then are put up for adoption according to health and temperament. The Lost/Found form can be used in order to assist us in locating your pet or to help us in returning an animal to its owner. Please complete the form and email it, along with a photo to You can also reach us by phone at 425-430-7550 or our 9-1-1 non-emergency line at 425-235-2121.
 There may be instances where Animal Control is not working. Those calls will be handled by an on duty Police Officer.

 The following are instances that are generally not handled by the Renton Police Department, Animal Control Unit:

  • Issues outside the city limits of Renton
     - If you live in King County (including unincorporated King County), please contact King County Animal Control
  • Rodents or insects
  • Cats in trees


Quick Links:

Foster Volunteer
Animal License Application
Lost/found report


  Animal Control-dog


  Animal Control-cat

  Animal Control-alligator2


 Animal Control-possum2