Household Hazardous Waste
Do not place any hazardous materials in with garbage. Call the Household Hazards Line at 206-296-4692 for disposal options, or see below.
Residents of King County may use the Hazardous Wastemobile or visit one of the Household Hazardous Waste collection sites for disposal of hazardous materials.
Four fixed disposal sites are available for dropping off household hazardous materials:
- The Auburn Wastemobile, 1101 SuperMall Way, Auburn (near Sports Authority and loading docks).
Hours: 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. on Saturday and Sunday.
- The Factoria Household Hazardous Waste Drop-Off Site, 13800 SE 32nd Street, Bellevue.
Hours: Tuesday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m., Saturdays and Sundays from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Closed Mondays and major holidays.
- The South Seattle Household Hazardous Waste Collection Site, 2nd Avenue S and S Kenyon Street.
Hours: Thursday, Friday, and Saturday: 9:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Closed on major holidays.
- The North Seattle Household Hazardous Waste Collection Site, 12550 Stone Ave. N. (one block east of Aurora Ave. N.)
Hours: Sunday, Monday, and Tuesday: 9:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Closed on major holidays.
Examples of materials that are accepted at Household Hazardous Waste Facilities:
- Automotive products (motor oil, antifreeze, brake fluid, lead acid batteries)
- Toxic cleaners (drain openers, aerosols, bowl cleaners)
- Painting products (oil based paints, thinners, stains, sealers, solvents)
- Pesticides (weed and feed products, chemical fertilizers, moss killer, bug killers)
- Hobby chemicals (glues, adhesives, wood preservatives)
- Fluorescent tubes and compact fluorescent lights
- Propane tanks
- Products containing mercury
- Alkaline Batteries (AAAA, AAA, AA, B, C, D)
Materials that are not accepted:
- Empty containers of any type
- Medical wastes
- Radioactive waste
- Business related wastes (unless your business is a qualifying Small Quantity Generator).
- Latex Paint*
*Dry out latex paint in a well ventilated area by mixing it with kitty litter, paint hardener, etc. When the paint has dried, put the can in the regular garbage with the lid off. Do not dry out or put oil-based paint in the garbage.
Used Motor Oil Recycling Locations in Renton:
Please call to confirm hours, acceptance policy, and other information. All locations listed below have a five gallon maximum and no charge.
- B&B Auto Parts: 401 Rainier Avenue N, 206-772-6380
- O'Reilly's: 307 Rainier Avenue S, 425-235-9972
- O'Reilly's: 17620 108th Avenue SE, 425-228-6226
- O'Reilly's: 4350 Fourth Avenue, 425-228-5090
- O'Reilly's: 14233 Petrovitsky Road, 425-277-7870
- O'Reilly's: 4350 NE Fourth Street, 425-226-5576
Guide to Non-Toxic Products:
For a list of safer substitutes to hazardous household products please see the Guide to Non-Toxic Products.
Email the Solid Waste Coordinator.