Contact Information
Renton Municipal Court
Renton, WA 98057

Passport Processing Suspended

Passport processing has been suspended and will not resume until the COVID-19 public health emergency is over. Please do not contact the court requesting passport application appointments. 

The City of Renton is a passport acceptance facility. Passport applications are accepted Monday through Friday from 8:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. by appointment only.

Renton City Hall – 3rd Floor
1055 South Grady Way
Renton, WA 98057

By United States regulation, only federal, state, or local government officials may serve as passport acceptance agents. Acceptance agents receive applications from the public and review them to ensure all necessary information and citizenship evidence is included. Agents administer the required oath and witness the applicants' signatures, then forward the applications to the Passport Services Agency (U.S. Dept. of State) for issuance. Acceptance facilities also provide the public with general information on passport procedures and serve as a liaison between applicants and Passport Services Agencies.

The City of Renton is not the United States Department of State and has no say on the layout of forms, regulations or the official passport website.

The actual decision to issue or deny a passport book and or card is made only by a US Department of State Passport Agency, not the City of Renton. To check on the status of a submitted passport, call 1-877-487-2778, or go to passport status.

Passport Application Processing Time will explain the time it takes to process a passport application.


No copies. Original documents only

All applicants (including children and infants) must appear in person. Minors under the age of 16 must have both parents present. A notarized statement of consent must be filed for children under age 16, if only one parent can appear.

  • Application: available online or at Renton City Hall 
  • Photo: one (1) passport photo 2"x2" on a white background. Pictures are NOT taken at city hall.
  • Primary Evidence of US Citizenship: provide one (1) of the following if 16 and over; if 15 or under, see renewal for minors instructions below)
    • Previously issued, undamaged US Passport
    • Certified birth certificate issued by the city, county or state *
    • Consular report of birth abroad or certification of birth
    • Naturalization Certificate
    • Certificate of Citizenship

*Permanent Resident Cards (Green Cards) are NOT evidence of Citizenship 

*A certified birth certificate has a registrar's raised, embossed, impressed or multicolored seal, registrar's signature, and the date the certificate was filed with the registrar's office, which must be within 1 year of your birth. Please note, some short (abstract) versions of birth certificates may not be acceptable for passport purposes.

  • Check/Cashiers Check or Money Order ONLY to US Department of State:
    • Passport Book - In the amount of $110 for adults, Expedited Process is an additional $60, for a total of $170. 
      In the amount of $80 for children under the age of 16, Expedited Process is an additional $60, for a total of $140. 
      To have your passport overnighted back to you, if you are expediting, please add $16.48.
    • Passport Card - In the amount of $30 for adults and $15 for children under the age of 16. Passport cards cannot be expedited.
  • City of Renton processing fee: $35 for each passport payable by cash, credit, debit or check.

Passport renewals for adults

The City of Renton is not authorized to process adult passport renewals, they must be done by MAIL ONLY. Form DS82 may be obtained at City Hall or online. Passport renewal applications may be made by mail (form DS82) only if you meet the following criteria, otherwise application must be made in person:

  • Submit your most recent passport; AND
  • Previous passport was issued on or after your 16th birthday; AND
  • Most recent passport was issued less than 15 years ago; AND
  • The name is the same name as that on most recent passport, OR have had a name change by marriage or court order and can submit proper documentation to reflect the name change

Passport renewals for minors

Renewals for minors under 16 require both parents present, completed DS11, one (1) new passport photo, old passport AND original birth certificate and parental identification. Parents and minors all must be present.

For 16 and 17 year olds: completed DS11, one (1) new passport photo, old passport and/or original birth certificate and one parent present with identification.


Expect approximately 6-8 weeks to receive a passport. Expedited service is available for an additional fee and takes approximately 2-3 weeks.

Timelines may be expedited by using Express Mail. Expedited service may be necessary for immediate travel plans, or travel to a country that requires a visa for travel. Passport must be in hand before applying for a visa.

Traveling within 14 days

Make an appointment with the Seattle Passport Agency (1-877-487-2778) if traveling within 14 days. The passport will be issued the same day or the following day. All requirements for a new DS11 passport must be met and proof of travel in the 14 day time frame must be shown. Itinerary, tickets, hotel reservations, etc. are acceptable.

A passport application (DS11) brought to the City of Renton to be processed and returned to you via a third party delivery, the travel date MUST be within the 14 day time frame. Proof of travel must be shown and requirements for a DS11 must be met. If travel is outside the 14 day time frame, the passport application CANNOT be given back to you after it has been processed and executed.

City of Renton | All Rights Reserved | Powered by CivicLive | © 2021 Intrado Corporation. | Disclaimer