The official site of the City of Renton

You are here : Living

Print Friendly Version

Frequently Asked Questions

How do I find my Court Date?

Court dates can be found on the Washington Courts Website. For information on Photo Enforcement court dates please contact the court.

How do I contact SCORE Jail?
Phone:    206-257-6200
Hours:     Mon-Fri 8:00am - 9:00 pm
Address:  20817 17th Avenue South
              Des Moines, WA 98198
Inmate Locator for the SCORE Jail.

How do I screen for a Public Defender?

You will be granted an opportunity to screen for a public defender at arraignment and again at any time during the court process if your financial circumstances change. The court will require you to complete an Indigency Screening Form.

How do I contact my Public Defender?

Public Defender Contact Information.

How do I change my Court Date?

You must contact your attorney in order to change any hearing dates currently set by the court. If you do not have an attorney, please contact the court for specific instructions for requesting a continuance.

How do I respond to an Infraction Citation?

You must request a hearing on the Notice of Infraction. For in person hearings you may submit an online Infraction Hearing Request.

Mitigation Hearing (in person): You would request a mitigation hearing if you agree the infraction was committed but want to explain the circumstances. The judge may reduce the penalty depending on mitigating circumstances. You will be notified in writing of your mitigation hearing date.

Mitigation Hearing By Mail : You will not be required to appear in court. You must write a statement agreeing that the infraction was committed. The court will review your statement, any photos/video of the incident and the police officer’s sworn statement, then render a decision. The infraction will be found to have been committed and a monetary penalty will be determined. The judge may reduce the penalty depending on mitigating circumstances. You will be notified by mail of the judge’s decision, and you agree to pay the penalty within 60 days of the decision.

Contested Hearing (in person): If you believe that you did not commit the infraction and want to challenge it, the City has the burden of proving by a preponderance of the evidence that the infraction was committed. You agree to appear at your scheduled hearing. You may subpoena witnesses, including the officer who issued the Notice of Infraction. Subpoena requests must be made to the court in person at least 14 days prior to the hearing. You will be notified in writing of your contested hearing date.