Renton's Public Art
Wings & Wheels by Judith & Daniel Caldwell. 72 Bronze castings are embedded in the 500 block of the Logan Ave N trail. Images and text highlight the relationship between bicycle and aviation history, weaving those themes into Renton Airport and Renton Boeing history. The artwork was commissioned and funded through the 1% for Art Program and dedicated in June 2011. View the Wings & Wheels “Installation Video.”
Emerging by Hai Ying Wu. This sculpture was commissioned for the Renton Centennial Celebration and dedicated in April 2003. It was funded by the One Percent for Art fund. It is located next to Carco Theatre, SE 1717 Maple Valley Highway.
Summer Breeze by Jim Demetro. This whimsical sculpture of a young girl dipping her foot in the water is located at the Piazza in downtown Renton. It was dedicated in 2003 and funded by One Percent for Art fund. The Piazza is located on the North side of Third Street, between Burnett Avenue and Logan Avenue.
Homework Comes First by Martha Pettigrew. The almost life-size bronze sculpture of a young boy, located at the Main Library, serves as a reminder that work comes before play. It was dedicated in 2003 and purchased through the One Percent for Art fund. The Library is located at 100 Mill Avenue South.
Our Adopted Community by Renton Technical College. This tile mural was created from drawings from students of the ESL class and depicts images of the City of Renton. It was dedicated in 2003 and is located at the City's parking garage in downtown Renton. The Parking Garage is just north of the Transit Center, on Second Avenue between Burnett Avenue and Logan Avenue.
Rolling Waters by Scott Yamamura. Integrated into the structure of the Liberty Park Skate Park, this interactive artwork of colored concrete depicts a flowing stream. It was dedicated in 2003 and was funded by the One Percent for Art fund. The Skate Park is located on Houser Way and parking is available on Houser Way, past the basketball courts.
Benches by Hai Ying Wu. These terrazzo benches are located at City Hall, 1055 South Grady Way. Natural scenes of Renton are depicted on the surfaces of the benches.
Fountain and Water Features by T. Ellen Sollod. This artwork, located at the Piazza in downtown Renton, was funded through the One Percent for Art fund and was dedicated in June 2000. The Piazza is located on the north side of Third Street, between Burnett Avenue and Logan Avenue.
Children's Artwork Collages by Doug Kyes and the children of Renton. The artwork was collected over a three year period at the Renton Municipal Arts Commission Renton River Days booth. This impressive display was completed in 2000 and is located in the Highlands Neighborhood Center, 800 Edmonds Avenue Northeast.
Balanced Cleaver by Don Freeman. This sculpture is located in the Renton Public Library, 100 Mill Avenue South. It was purchased in 1995.
Fountain 1960 by George Tsutakawa. This bronze fountain was donated to the City of Renton by the Fred Meyer Corporation in 1995. The fountain was funded by One Percent for Art fund and is located at the Maplewood Golf Course, 4050 Maple Valley Highway.
Nature Walk. The walk is located at the Waterworks Garden (Metro Treatment Plant) and is enhanced by many water features, including a grotto. This art was purchased in 1994 through the One Percent for Art fund. The Metro Treatment Plant and Waterworks Garden is located at 1200 Monster Road Southwest.
We Are All In This Boat Together by Harold Balazs. This stainless steel sculpture was installed in 1990 along the Cedar River Trail at the Renton Senior Center, 211 Burnett Avenue North. The project was purchased by One Percent for Art fund.
Untitled by Bonnie Branson. These enamel-on-steel panels are mounted on the east face of the Renton Community Center, 1715 Maple Valley Highway. They were purchased in 1989 through the One Percent for Art fund.
Nine Forms by Elizabeth Mapelli. The glass tile covered seats are located on the terrace at the Community Center, SE 1715 Maple Valley Highway. They were purchased in 1989 with One Percent for Art funds.
Renton Changes by Kay Slusarenko. Painted panels depict a map of Renton. The art, located at the Community Center, SE 1715 Maple Valley Highway, was selected through the One Percent for Art fund in 1989.
Equii by Renton Technical College. The 1988 Humanities Class, under the direction of Drex Adkinson, created a sculpture of welded steel rods. The sculpture stands in Burnett Linear Park, 502 Burnett Avenue South.
History of Renton by Senior Center Quilters. The Washington Centennial quilt project is housed at the Renton Community Center, 1715 Maple Valley Highway. It was a gift from Renton Senior Center quilters in 1988.
Celebrate the Salmon by Kerstin Schwizer. A series of weavings purchased with One Percent for Art funds in 1987. These fabric artworks are located in the Renton Public Library, 100 Mill Avenue South.
Donkey Run Away to the Mines by Richard Beyer. Tonkins Park is home to this cast aluminum sculpture, purchased with funds from the One Percent for Art program in 1984. Tonkins Park is located at 399 Williams Avenue South.
Stiltwalker by Ray Jensen. This bronze silicon sculpture, located in Liberty Park at 1101 Bronson Way North, was installed in 1984. The sculpture was purchased with One Percent for Art fund.
Interface by Phillip Levine. This bronze sculpture was acquired in 1982 by the One Percent for Art fund. It is located in Gene Coulon Memorial Beach Park, at 1201 Lake Washington Boulevard North.
Turn of the Century Fire by Robert Rae. This wood-crafted sculpture is in the lobby at Fire Station 13, 17040 108th Avenue Southeast. It was a 1982 One Percent for Art fund.
Wolves at Indian Baskets by Richard Beyer. This bronze sculpture is located along the Cedar River, near the Cedar River Terrace Senior Housing, 51 Burnett Avenue South. The 1980 project was funded by Renton Rotary and Allied Arts.
Untitled by Hill and Associates. The stained glass windows at the Renton Senior Activity Center, 211 Burnett Ave North, were a gift from Mr. and Mrs. Charles Rudd in 1979.
Untitled by Marcy Johnson. This cotton weaving occupies the stage area in the Renton Activity Senior Center, 211 Burnett Avenue North. It was a 1979 One Percent for Art fund.
Firemen in Action by Scott Fife. This pen and crayon mural is in the lobby of Fire Station #11, 211 Mill Avenue South. It was purchased in 1979 under the One Percent for Art fund.
Untitled by Harold Balazs. The enameled metal mural on the exterior wall at Fire Station #11 was a 1979 One Percent for Art fund. Fire Station #11 is located at 211 Mill Avenue South.
Trees by Peg McNaire. This tapestry hangs in the entryway at the Renton Senior Activity Center, 211 Burnett Avenue North. The piece was purchased in 1979.
Icosahedron by Gregory Parsons. This steel sculpture, which is in the Kiwanis Bicentennial Air Park adjacent to Renton Field, was a 1976 Bicentennial Project. The Park is located at 260 Rainier Avenue North.
Chihuly vase by Dale Chihuly. This art piece is located in the Mayor's Office on the 7th floor of Renton City Hall at 1055 South Grady Way. The vase was the 1972 Governor's Art Award and was a gift to the City of Renton from former Governor Dan Evans.
Untitled by Hai Ying Wu. The bronze and stone sculpture, located at Renton Fire Station #14, is a tribute to all Renton firefighters. Fire Station #14 is located at 1900 Lind Avenue Southwest.
Coal Miners by Jacob Elshin. The oil painting was created in 1938 and spent many years at the Renton Post Office. It was given to the City in 1972 and currently hangs in the Highlands Library, 2902 Northeast 12th Street.
Untitled Fountain by Glen Hunt. The fountain, near the 200 Mill Building on Mill Avenue South, was purchased by Haydon Williams, John Swanson and the City of Renton in 1969.
Bronze Owl by G. Alan Wright. This sculpture was a gift from the 1968 Renton Rotary Caper. It is displayed in the lobby of City Hall, 1055 South Grady Way.
Untitled by Marvin Herrard. The bronze art screen is located in the Renton Public Library, 100 Mill Avenue South. It was a gift from Allied Arts of Renton in 1966.
Wooden Murals by James H. Fitzgerald. These two carved wood murals of Western Red Cedar were acquired in 1945 and are housed in the Renton Highlands Library, 2902 Northeast 12th Street.
Chief Sealth by James A. Wehn. A bronze-finished drinking fountain located just north of the Historical Museum, 235 Mill Avenue South. Affectionately known as "Iron Mike," the piece was donated to the City by volunteer firefighters in 1910.
Chiming Clocks at Watchtower. The clocks are located at Fire Station #12 in the Highlands neighborhood. The clocks are programmed to play seasonal music and chime on there hour. The clocks were funded by by 1% for Art and dedicated in June, 2004.
The River by Richard C. Elliott. Located at the City Center Parking Garage in downtown Renton. Two layers of reflectors are adhered to clear 6' wide Plexiglas panels. These panels were placed in the windows of the elevator shaft of the City of Renton's Municipal Parking Garage. River winds it way 76' up the structure much in the same way the Cedar River winds its way through Renton.
The Duwamish People by Doug Kyes. Located at the Henry Moses Aquatic Center on the exterior entrance fence. These stainless steel metal art depicts the Duwamish Tribe which fished the area before the land was developed.
Home by Dawn Murin. Located at Heritage Park in the Highland. This wall seat features a series of stainless steel sheets installed around a wall seat with the word "home" etched into the surface and translated into dozens of languages currently spoken in Renton.