The official site of the City of Renton

You are here : Living


Passport applications are accepted Monday - Friday from 8:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. by appointment only. 

Renton City Hall – 3rd Floor
1055 S Grady Way, Renton, WA 98057
Phone:  425.430.6985.Passport applications


The City of Renton became a Passport Acceptance Facility in May of 2003, allowing us to assist with applications for a US passport. 

By US regulation, only federal, state or local government officials may serve as passport acceptance agents. Acceptance agents receive applications from the public and review them to ensure all necessary information and citizenship evidence is included. They administer the required oath and witness the applicants' signatures, then forward the applications to the Passport Services Agency (US Dept. of State) for issuance. Acceptance facilities also provide the public with general information on passport procedures and serve as a liaison between applicants and Passport Services Agencies.

The City of Renton is NOT the US Dept. of State and has no say on the layout of forms, regulations or the official Passport Website. (

The actual decision to issue or deny a passport book and or card is made only by a US Department of State Passport Agency, not the City of Renton. To check on the status of a submitted passport, you may call (toll free) 1-877-487-2778, or go to Passport Status.

How long will it take to process a passport Application?  Visit Passport Application Processing Time for a current estimate from the US Dept. of State on Routine Service or Expedited Service.



All those applying (including children and infants) must appear in person - Minors under the age of 16 must have both parents present.  Notarized Statement of Consent for children under age 16, if only one parent can appear

  • Completed Application - May be obtained at City Hall or online at
  • One (1) Passport Photo 2x2, white background (pictures are NOT taken at City Hall)
  • Primary Evidence of US Citizenship (one of the following if 16 and over; if 15 or under, please see RENEWAL FOR MINORS instructions below)
    • Previously issued, undamaged US Passport
    • Certified birth certificate issued by the city, county or state *
    • Consular Report of Birth Abroad or Certification of Birth
    • Naturalization Certificate
    • Certificate of Citizenship

*Permanent Resident Cards (Green Cards) are NOT evidence of Citizenship

*A certified birth certificate has a registrar's raised, embossed, impressed or multicolored seal, registrar's signature, and the date the certificate was filed with the registrar's office, which must be within 1 year of your birth. Please note, some short (abstract) versions of birth certificates may not be acceptable for passport purposes.

  • Check/Cashiers Check or Money Order ONLY to US Department of State:
    • Passport Book - In the amount of $110.00 for adults, Expedited Process is an additional $60.00, for a total of $170.00.
      In the amount of $80.00 for children under the age of 16, Expedited Process is an additional $60.00, for a total of $140.00.
      To have your passport overnighted back to you, if you are expediting, please add $15.45.
    • Passport Card - In the amount of $30.00 for adults and $15.00 for children under the age of 16.
      (Passport cards cannot be expedited)
  • City of Renton Processing fee: $25.00 for each passport payable by cash, credit, debit or check.


The City of Renton is not authorized to process Adult Passport Renewals, they must be done by MAIL ONLY. (You may obtain the form (DS82) at City Hall or You may apply for a passport renewal by mail (form DS82) only if you meet the following criteria, otherwise you must apply for a new passport in person:

  • You can submit your most recent passport; AND
  • Your previous passport was issued on or after your 16th birthday; AND
  • Your most recent passport was issued less than 15 years ago; AND
  • You use the same name as on your most recent passport, OR have had a name change by marriage or court order and can submit proper documentation to reflect the name change


Renewals for minors under 16 require both parents present, completed DS11, 1 new passport photo, old passport AND original birth certificate and parents identification. Parents and minors all must be present.

Renewals for 16 and 17 year old. Completed DS11, 1 new passport photo, old passport and/or original birth certificate and one parent present with identification.


It takes approximately 6-8 weeks to receive a passport. Expedited service is available for an additional fee and takes approximately  2-3 weeks. It may be possible to improve these timelines by paying for Express Mail. Expedited service may be necessary if you have immediate travel plans, or if you are going to a country that requires a visa for travel (you must have your passport in hand before you can apply for a visa)


You may make an appointment with the downtown Seattle Passport Agency (1-877-487-2778) if you are traveling within 14 days. Your passport will be issued that same or following day. You will need to have all the above requirements met for a new DS11 passport and show proof of travel in the 14 day time frame. Itinerary, tickets, hotel reservations, etc.

If you are bringing in a passport application (DS11) to the City of Renton to be processed and returned to you for a third party delivery, your travel date MUST be within the 14 day timeframe. You must show proof of travel and have all the above requirements for a DS11 met. If you are traveling outside the 14 day timeframe, your passport application CANNOT be given back to you after it has been processed and executed.